Become an Organ Donor through the Taylor's Gift Foundation

Monday, February 21, 2011

Book Review: The Lightkeeper's Daughter by Colleen Coble (4 Stars)


Stunning Cover!
Synopsis:
Growing up as the lightkeeper's daughter on a remote island at the turn of the century, Addie Sullivan has lived a hardscrabble life. When a long-lost and wealthy relative finds her and enlists her to work as a governess at a lavish estate, she hopes to discover the truth of her heritage. But at Eaton Hall, nothing is as it seems. Not the idyllic family she hoped for, not the child she was hired to help, not even the aloof man she's immediately attracted to. Soon she must turn for help to Lieutenant John North, a man who views her with suspicion.
As Addie edges closer to the truth, danger threatens even as her romance with John blossoms and together they unravel a decades-old mystery. As Addie faces down her enemy, she discovers that faith in her one true Father is all she needs.

My Review:
This is book 1 in the Mercy Falls series by Colleen Coble. This was my first novel by Colleen Coble, and I enjoyed it very much. The story drew me in right from the start. The one negative thing that I do have to say is that I did have a hard time keeping all of the characters straight in the beginning. Sometimes a character would be referred to by their first name, and other times by Mr. ____ or Mrs. ____. Just a little confusing, but not too major to detract from enjoying the story.

The setting was beautifully described in great detail, so much so that it vividly came to life in my mind as I read. The mystery and suspense were woven into the story in such a way that kept me guessing until the very end. Of course, I had some ideas as I read, but I wasn't able to completely figure it out. I like that the story wasn't predictable.

The spiritual part of the story was very well done, and naturally blended into the story line. It wasn't a huge part of the story, but Addie's faith and dependence on God throughout the novel certainly added a layer to the story that I enjoyed very much.

I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy Christian Historical fiction. It was an interesting and satisfying read, and I will certainly read more novels by this talented author. 

2 comments:

  1. I have never read anything by Colleen Coble before either, but I have heard alot about her books. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Casey! I appreciate it! : )

    ReplyDelete