Become an Organ Donor through the Taylor's Gift Foundation

Friday, March 16, 2012

{How to Make Perfect Rice}

I know that rice isn't something we usually get excited about, but THIS rice is a completely different story.  It is my hope that you will be inspired to make this easy and delicious side dish, that is the perfect accompaniment to most entrees.  : )


In all of my 18 years of cooking, I've never been able to get rice to turn out.  I've always used plain, long grain rice, followed the bag instructions, but never achieved good results.  It would turn out mushy, pasty, etc.  No one really like it, and hubby would ask, "Can't you make it so it's not all stuck together?"

Well, thanks to this video we found on youtube, I can now make perfect rice every time.  Really.  It's that easy.  It's made with Basmati rice which is absolutely delicious!  It has such a unique flavor.  If you haven't tried it, well . . . you're missing out.  I don't want to twist your arm or boss you around, but please try it.  It's SO GOOD!  I really think you'll love it.  Let's face it, if I'm posting about rice on my blog, you know it's something special.  ;-)

Basmati is a variety of long grain rice, notable for its fragrance and delicate flavour. Its name means "the fragrant one" in Sanskrit, but it can also mean the "soft rice." Pakistan and India are the largest cultivators and exporters of this rice - primarily grown through paddy field farming in the Punjab region. The grains of basmati rice are longer than non-basmati varieties. Cooked grains of Basmati rice are characteristically free flowing rather than sticky. Cooked basmati rice can be uniquely identified by its fragrance.
Basmati rice is available in two varieties - white rice and brown rice. Basmati rice is authentic Indian long grained white rice, which has unique nutty flavor. Basmati rice is very popular in India and all over the world. A wide variety of rice dishes are made with Basmati rice like plain steamed rice, pulaos, pilafs, biryanis or just different types of fried rice - which include meat, vegetables, nuts, and even fruits sometimes. Gourmet cooks prefer to use Basmati rice for its fragrant flavor. Special occasion rice dishes are mostly made with Basmati rice.

If you follow the instructions in this video, you'll have perfect rice on your plate in about 30 minutes.  We've made this about 6 times in the past two weeks, and it's turned out perfectly every time, with no problems.

Be Blessed, and Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this video! I've never tried Basmati rice but will see if I can find some next time I'm at the store. Sounds delicious! Have you ever had Jasmine rice? That's my favorite; it's a sticky rice that always comes out moist and fluffy every time I make it. It's similar to the white rice you'd get from a Chinese restaurant. And the preparation looks very much like the video for how to make the Basmati rice. I'm curious to try that one now and see if it's similar at all to Jasmine.

    Again, thanks for this tip and have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Christina! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. : )

    I've never tried Jasmine rice, but I will pick some up the next time I'm at the store. Thanks for the recommendation. : )

    I hope you have a great weekend too!

    ReplyDelete